Saturday, May 16, 2009

A Paradigm Shift - Nonessential??

Now, if you hang with the church long enough, you'll at some point in time hear that some teachings are "nonessential".

Translation: I'm right, you're wrong, but we don't have to divide over it. I still think you're going to heaven.

Reality: Things will be awkward between us after you find out what I believe.

I've heard those outside of the church often accuse those in the church of being "closed minded". I hate saying this, but my experience is that, that accusation is sadly true.

I've lost many "christian" friends because my views in SOME things have changed. Now, admittedly, I'm not the most gracious with my delivery. Truthfully, I've been downright obnoxious at times. But... I've tried it both ways, and the result is usually the same. Typically, people will disagree and they can't tell me why.

Some of you reading this blog think I've gone off the deep end, but you can't tell me why.

Let's take one of the essentials of the faith. How about the doctrine of the Trinity. Now, most "Christians" will say that's an essential doctrine to the faith. It very well may be, but let me ask a couple of questions.

1. Do you fully understand/grasp the doctrine of the trinity?

2. What you do understand/grasp; who's standard will it satisfy? Yours, your pastor's, the theologian?

3. Maybe you don't understand it at all, but you confess it, is that good enough?

4. What is it essential to?

5. If you don't really know what it's essential to (or maybe you do, but you couldn't possibly hold yourself to that same standard), is it really essential to anything other than you denomination (i.e., your club)?

6. After really thinking through questions 1 - 5, do you hope it really isn't essential?

A note to the Christian:

It's OK to think!!! These are valid questions!

No comments:

Post a Comment